FIRE PROTECTION ENGINEER
The Fire Protection Engineer's role as part of the SETTY team is to address fire safety concerns that arise during the design and construction of a building. In this role the successful candidate will work with engineers from other disciplines, as well as architects, technicians, and building owners and managers to protect against the threat of fire for our work on Stadiums, Hospitals, Schools, University Facilities, and Base Buildings for offices. He or she will have excellent verbal & written communication skills, and serve as a representative of the firm both internally and externally.
The successful candidate will:
- Conduct design review and commissioning services for fire protection, fire alarm, and life safety systems. Duties include review of designs and submittals; verification of as-built and redline drawings; construction surveys and inspections; development and partial witnessing of pre-functional checklists; and development and executing functional performance tests.
- Apply fundamental fire and life safety engineering principles to create performance based solutions to design challenges that are not addressed by the straightforward application of existing fire protection codes and standards.
- Perform surveys and/or analysis to ensure compliance with the most current version of the National Fire Prevention Association (NFPA) codes and standards and the Unified Facilities Criteria (UFC). Perform calculations as assigned such as maximum allowable building area, sprinkler system water supplies and smoke control equipment.
- Provide engineering support to the building management office for fire alarm and fire protection system inspection, testing, and maintenance.
- Propose additions, changes, and updates to existing fire protection and life safety codes, standards, and regulations, such as NFPA, UFC, WHSBC, and the WHSFR.
- Investigate fire, smoke and fire alarm activation related incidences to assist in determining cause and make recommendations for improvements of policies and practices.
- BS degree or MS Degree from accredited US program in mechanical engineering or fire protection engineering or other related engineering area.
- 1-8+ years experience to include fire code, life safety or fire suppression systems experience.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and customer service skills.
- Candidates must be able to pass a federal background check.
- PE is required.
- US Citizenship is required due to federal contract regulations.